Tuesday, October 02, 2007

I think it's rare to find someone who is truly (and consistantly) content with being themselves. Far too often, people try (with extreme desperation) to distance themselves from the norm. The problem with this (other than the fact that that this desired distance is in fact the norm) is that they present to the world, a product that is essentially fake, false, untrue. In short, a carefully created facade. Thus, comes the question: Is it better to not be yourself, and expand in ways that are eye catching and unique in all outward ways (rooted by a very common, and trendy desire to be captivating ) but essentailly untrue. .. Or, on the other hand, is it preferable to be yourself, even if the product presented to the world is normal, common and less flashy. I would like to say that through my entire life I have been content with being myself. THAT I have found the ground that everyone searches for, that I am one of the lucky ones that gets to go against the norm naturally by being themselves... In some cases, this statement is true. In others, it is most certainly not. Consistancy is not human. I can tell you this (however), the times I have been happiest, and most content, have been the times in which the person I have presented to the world has been nothing more and nothing less than myself, and this presentation of myself has been made for absoulty no one.. Seems odd, that the happiest state, is also the easiest to project. The majority of people who constantly stand out in crowds are illusions.... and the rare people who are not, are the ones whom we so desperatly want to be.

On another note... It recently occured to me, that while I enjoy a good book in its entierity (spelling) it is the last sentence in a book that can take it from good to great. The funny thing about this statement (at least to me) is that the sentence does not have to be pivitol in any way.... It simply has to have the ability to make you step back, smile and have the content filled "ahhh" feeling. I always read the last sentence of a book first. It is a rare occatiton that the absolute last sentence gives any secrets about the book away, and thus its not damaging to the book's plot in any way. Why then do I do this??? Simply put... By reading the last sentence first (and thus, not understanding it, or its relivance) it allows me to enjoy the sentence all the more upon arrival at the end of the book.. Put simply, it creates the feeling that a riddle has been solved, placing a significant amount of feeling and understanding in the absolute final moments of the book.. Added dramatic effect at its fullest....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home