Friday, March 24, 2006

Do you feel like a puzzle? You can't find your missing piece?

First of all I would like to point out that.. YES I know the lyrics in my title are to a Coldplay song and not an Oasis song. and.. NO I don't care that they do not follow along with the mini Oasis rant I am about to embark on. In fact, they go along with the point I am trying to make... So here's the point/rant.

Right before I went to the Oasis concert, I did what any typical, normal person on this planet does prior going to a concert... I told everyone around me where I was going with a hint of exitment in my voice. This excitment was met with the usual confirmation of excitment in ways such as "that's amazing, you're one lucky girl" but what also followed astounded me a little. People (and Id say 8/10) got this puzzled look on their face and then stated "but who is Oasis?". Now I understand that not everyone is musically enclined, and yes Oasis is not plastered all over the radio like they were when I was in grade 9, but I thought the majority of people at least knew the name... At the very least, knew songs like Wonderwall and Chapaigne Supernova. I mean I don't even LOVE the band really, I just thought they would be good live (which they were). I KNOW who they are though. That puts me above the 8/10 people in regards to Oasis I guess. I would also like to point out that the majority of people who were forced to confim my excitement and had to see me pre-concert were in their late 20's to early 60's... This isnt really a rant about people not likeing Oasis, becasue I really couldn't care less, I don't even like them that much (minus the main Wonderwall, Chapagne Supernova and Don't Look Back in Anger" which I quite like) I dont even know many songs by them. What I do like about them, is that their music reminds me of sitting on a bus in England with a bunch of kids, being carted of to a private school, who all began to sing and sway their arms when ANY Oasis song was even mentioned. THEY will definitly always know what band Oasis is. Maybe it's a generation gap, or maybe it's simply my generation who were the lucky ones to "know" Oasis. There are a lot of people out there, I know this because ACC was filled..

On the topic of generation gaps... Post Oasis, L and I went out for drinks... Much against my will (though I hid this lack of desire). To me, going out for dinner followed by a concert was enough to fill one night, no extra events were needed. I tried to get out of it with the typical line of "well I don't really want to go, but I'll go if you want to. But just one drink". I knew full well that it would never be one drink. Its never one drink. So off we went for "one (meaning multiple) drink" to C-Lounge. The one good thing about this trip is it gave me the chance to check out an ice bar that my mom had told me about earlier on in the season. An ice bar that I wanted to go into, try on the fuzzy jackets they provide you with, take a few pictures, laugh a few times, etc... That was fun. But I also had to endure the typical club scene in Toronto, with people telling pointless stories, and professing their love for lulu lemon, Juicy Coutiour (I cant even spell it) and boys. I DONT CARE!!!! I DONT OWN A SINGLE PIECE OF THAT KIND OF CLOTHING, I HAVE NO INTREST IN LIVING IN A FANCY APPARTMENT IN TORONTO AND I DONT CARE WHO SLEPT WITH WHO!!!! I find talking in this manner just makes me feel fake, insecure and self concious. Surrounding myself with these types of conversations brings me into a world I want no part in. SURE these are probably good people, and theyre just having their idea of a fun night out. PROBLEM: Its not a fun night for me. Sure I nod my head and laugh (and yes sometimes the stories and jokes are funny) but not enough to keep the desire to stay there present. I HATE that every outing with L ends at a bar or going out for drinks. For the record shes not like that, shes deifnilty not hooked on alcohol, and she has more to her than silly little conversations. But she likes this scene, and I do not. I fear we are embarking on different paths her and I, and there's not much I can do about it. Anyways the generation gap: MY SPACE. It came up in conversation (the one conversation that I actually enjoyed and found to be quite interesting) . My generation sees My Space like adults and old people see MSN. I have lived through Napster, and ICQ and MSN, and enjoyed all for the different services that they offer... Who wouldn't enjoy free music and the chance to chat with friends basically 24 hours a day??? My Space however, seems like such a hassle and such a waste of time and effort. For all of you My Space "lovers" out there, I am sure I am just ignorant to it's many fab uses. I know that it allows you to make some form of a web page in which you can blogand post pictures and links. I know that My Space also allows you to add friends, and find friends. It also allows these long lost friends to post comments and contact you. And the best feature of all, it allows you to "Browse" or snoop through other people's friends and contacts, ie. stalk with permission. I say stalk as lightly as I can, as I am just as curious about other people as the next person. I can say for sure that I would be checking out my friend's spaces and would look at various parts of their site with no real reason except the desire to find something interesting... It just seems like so much work though, just to accumulate a group of pictures on the right hand of the screen... Maybe if I blogged and wanted people to see it, or maybe if I thought it would actually bring back friends I have lost contact with along the way... But from what I've seen, the blogs are too personal for me to share and the pictures are more of friends that people aready know and/or complete strangers and bands (who I guarantee you have not and will not visit the myspace site to which their picture is posted on). SO until I see some real benifit in My Space, it will be to me what Oasis is to the 20 plus year olds... A complete mystery to which I will nod my head, and smile and express my enthusiasm to.. But I wont have a clue what the music/site is really like...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home